Re: queries per second - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Chris Ruprecht
Subject Re: queries per second
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hello Timur,

At 10:23 +0500 12/15/2001, Timur V. Irmatov wrote:
>Hello, All!
>
>I'd like to know the approximate number of simple queries (update a
>row, select just one row) PostgreSQL is able to perform per second?
>(Machine is PII-Celeron 600 with 256 RAM)
>These queries will be combined by 2-3 in transactions.

This is very dependent on what type of queries you are doing. You can
have many queries requesting data which is already in a buffer, so
that no disk read access is required or you can have reads, which
actually require disk access. If you database is small and you have
enough memory, you might have all the data in memory at all times -
access would be very fast then, you might get 100+ queries/second.
If you need to read a disk, you are dependant an you hardware. I have
opted for an UltraSCSI-160 controller with UltraSCSI-160 drives, the
fastest option you can get on a PC type platform. I process about
75'000 records every night (they get downloaded from another server).
For each record I process, the program makes about 4 - 10 queries to
put the new record into the correct 'slot'. The entire process takes
about 3 minutes. I'm running this on an 850 MHz AMD Athlon machine
with 768 MB of RAM.
Hope this gives you a little indication about the speed.

Best regards,
Chris
--
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre